Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Inside Out

I am an inside gal. I like to cook and do things inside the house. I do not enjoy gardening and being outside much. I especially don't like the creepy crawly things outdoors. No I am not mentally unstable and I do not obsess over them I just prefer the indoors. My three oldest grandchildren and one of their friends came over to have a cookout and grill hot dogs and marshmallows. While the fire was catching up in the fire pit located on our back deck they wanted me to play soccer with them. I am old, slow, and basically worn-out but I agreed. I couldn't believe how much energy I mustered up once we began to play. My husband and I faired pretty good considering we were playing against two 8 year olds (who are great soccer players), a 6 year old (who thinks and acts 12), and a 4 year old (who regularly practices with the 8 year old team even though he is on the 4 & 5 year old team.) We cooked and ate outside on the patio. After dinner all of us took a walk, played freeze tag, swung on the swingset, jumped on the trampoline, and finished the evening by playing dodge ball. We were sitting on the deck watching the remains of the fire slowly burning out when my 8 year old came and sat down in my lap, put her arms around my neck while placing her forehead against mine and said, "Nona, I have had so much fun today. You are the coolest Nona in the world." Then her friend said, "Yes she is." "THE COOLEST NONA IN THE WORLD" can you believe it "THE COOLEST NONA IN THE WORLD". I can't keep from typing it over and over again. After they went home my husband and I sat down on the couch with ice packs on our legs and shoulders and a heating pad on our back not being able to move our pinkie or our little toe. I looked over to him and said, " Well guess what I have decided I am an outside person now. I have had so much fun I am going from the inside to the outside even if it means we eat out more often." I feel so liberated!

2 comments:

Debbie Y. said...

Yeah, I have heard that grandkids will make you turn your lives inside out and upside down to do whatever please them. But guess what because you did, you got the most pleasure. THE COOLEST NONA IN THE WORLD! I already knew it.

Aleta said...

Awww, wasn't it worth all the ice and heating pads just to hear those wonderful words? Sounds like everyone had a blast and you made the day special for them.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed